If you’re tired of the same old boring hobbies, why not give taxidermy a go? Small, friendly classes just off the M4 in South Wales (Cardiff / Newport area).
The Morbitorium provide one-day taxidermy courses to give you the knowledge required to start doing your own projects. No former experience is required and all the materials you will need are provided. We even give you lunch!
During the taxidermy lesson, you will learn the processes of skinning, cleaning, mounting and finishing a mouse, rat or rabbit and these skills are transferable to pretty much any other small animal you are likely to encounter.
To become a skilled taxidermist takes years of practice but after this class, you will have the knowledge to create your own mounts and the option to take your interest in the art of taxidermy that one stage further.
You’ll learn everything you need to get you started on your new hobby in a single class. Obviously, we’d love to have you back for further classes in the future and we’ll be in touch when we are ready to do some more advanced ones like “Make a Mutant” or “Mythical Beasts”
- Classes are run from my home workshop in Pontywaun, South Wales. We’re just off the M4 (Junction 28) and easy to get to via public transport too
- The classes are generally held on a Saturday starting at 10.30am but please check the calendar for any variations
- End times will vary depending on how many people are attending, the size of your animal and if we hit any snags along the way. As a rule of thumb though, plan for about 4pm to 4.30pm.
- Classes are kept small (maximum of 6 places) to ensure that each person gets plenty of attention and assistance when required
- A buffet lunch is provided and you will leave with your completed piece at the end of the day
- No animals are killed specifically for the class. Click here to find out more about our ethical policy
We use NO harsh or dangerous chemicals. Everyone will be provided with gloves and sanitary equipment. All animals are disease free. Although there will not be a lot of blood or gore, a strong constitution and maturity are necessary. All animals are ethically sourced – nothing was killed specifically for this class. Animals used in this class are discards from the feeder/pet food industry or naturally deceased. Please do not bring any raw dead animals with you to the class.
Are there any age restrictions?
Everybody is different so no, we don’t impose any arbitrary age restrictions. I have met some very mature 13 and 14-year-olds and some incredibly childish 40+ year-olds (of which I am very proud to be one) so I leave the decision entirely up to you. Please bear the following in mind though…
- Under 18s will require a parent or guardian’s consent
- There will be some very sharp scalpels
- Blood etc is minimal but will be encountered
- Smelly bits are almost guaranteed too
- Any tomfoolery or shenanigans will result in the person being removed from the class
- All class fees are nonrefundable
Where do the animals come from?
Taxidermy can be a very divisive art form, especially for a country of animal lovers like we are in the UK. Rest assured that none of the animals used at the Morbitorium have been killed specifically for us and we do not condone hunting or animal cruelty in any way.
All our specimens come from a variety of different sources…
- If the animal is still fresh enough and is relatively undamaged it will be used for taxidermy purposes
- If the damage is too severe or if it has been lying for too long I will let it decompose naturally in a 'bone cage' until just the skeleton remains. These bones will then be used in a variety of different ways
- We have collected fox, birds, squirrels and rabbits from the roadside
- Natural causes
- Natural causes also include the "food chain". i.e. Birds and rodents that have been killed by our cats etc
- Some owners have kindly donated their deceased pets to me
- Birds flying into windows
- We have been donated many rats, mice and birds
- Pet food discards
- These animals were originally destined to be pet food for snakes and other reptiles
- Our taxidermy classes exclusively use animals from this source as we can guarantee that they are clean and disease free